Saturday, June 18, 2016

A Trickle of Sweat

I'm working on book 3 of my Basket Series. "Working" means writing rough draft, editing, seeing what works, doesn't work, checking the pacing, seeing that the important threads/theme, etc. are consistent and not dropped.

Summer is when a lot of writers take time for their families and to write new material. We start up again on business in fall, etc. but in summer we're dealing with a lot. We may write slower, because Life Interferes, but we are writing.

Book 3, Tentative Title The Bride's Basket, is the last of the trilogy, unless I feel the need to add more. This book, in particular, because of Novel Interruptus/Life, was a struggle that is now coming along nice, cruising into about 3/4 of what I planned. I'm layering, editing constantly, and writing almost like a race to the finish. Layering a novel, deepening it with layers and contrasting layers, gives a book strength.

Yesterday, as I was taking a long necessary drive in the heat, I felt a trickle of sweat. This was a disaster. My AC was working fine; therefore I should be cool. I was even wearing my large white man's over shirt to keep the front window's sun from me.  Yet that trickle of sweat ran from my temple to my cheekbone.

That trickle of sweat was so important, I notified two daughters. You see how important that was. :)

While debating that trickle of sweat (just one), I somehow came up with two characterizations to add to one character who is not quite coming alive yet. She's a woman, a plus-size  model and while I had her backstory— very important, all backstories are very important — I wasn't seeing her as a hero would see her.

So how to layer in the necessities of attraction: Accessories help. She was already wearing a black formfitting jumpsuit to a community affair. Adding the fine details make up our model would skillfully apply, some glittery chandelier earrings, hair piled high, and a belt did wonders for this girl. I think I'll let her live.

Now. That high piled hair do, is perfect for a hero to release and let flow through his fingers. This gives him the opportunity to steady and feel her hair, which up is applying to the senses. We've got five senses to use in writing, each one important. With touch comes, what it feels like, when it reminds him of, and what he might dream of. There is more.

Now2:  As he touches her hair, what does she feel?

Okay. He sees her, etc. Things are moving between them, but how does she see him? For one thing, he needs clothing and a model would know exactly what he was wearing and probably the strength of the body beneath the clothing. This guy needs a shirt, suitable to the occasion, a belt, pants, shoes.

Dress the characters. Make them feel.

And yes, I did feel that trickle of sweat, a sensation I do not wish to experience again. :)

1 comment:

kbobkat1 said...

I can't wait for number 3. Somehow these are extremely captivating. Hurry-lol-Kathih