Thursday, February 18, 2016

Laugh Lines

Yesterday, a friend called, laughing away. It's always good to hear her laugh, right out there, belly laugh.

She'd just been reading The Cowboy, which I'm preparing for re-release. Lucas, aka The Cowboy, has twin teenage girls and he's divorced. Raven and Summer need college money and they submit good looking Lucas to a dating game show. Honey, aka Chastity, gets her pick of datables for a fun filled time. Naturally things take off. :)

About Laugh Lines: And here's the rub, so say whomevers: Either humor takes off, or it doesn't. And it's not a mechanical skill--sure comics can develop their delivery--but when it comes to black and white paper laughing, that comes from an innate talent of the writer. Humor can be dissected and honed, but very original humor flows from within that special spark of the writer.

And it's subjective. That is: Not everyone has the same laugh lines. But once the writer taps the right readership head on and humor is a match, that's a good read.

That writer may not set out to write humor, and then he hits a thread and laughter comes rolling in. A very natural process.

Once an editor called me, laughing away. She loved the humor in my story. I didn't set out to write humor; it just happened.

We do have quite accomplished mechanical writers, doing everything just right, but laughter/humor on pages is either there in the writer, or not. (Said that before, will say it again.)

Old Cover
Have to say, I laughed a few times myself when re-reading The Cowboy, soon for re-release, and Donna--you know who you are, is waiting. :) A new cover and The Cowboy rides again. :)

Note to New writers: Write to your strengths is the best advice ever.

Note to Readers--and Donna: Working on getting The Cowboy to you. 

Note to the Belly Laugher: No, I won't write the same vein of story all the time. I like moving around and it makes for fresher stories--for me anyway. No, I'm not going to stick with this one vein--humor--and forget my other creative outlets, i.e. painting. But I did love hearing you laugh. :)

2 comments:

Mountain Girl said...

I love a good humorous story. That said, no two people laugh at the same things. I laughed so hard at one Jennifer Crusie novel I had to go into the bathroom for fear of waking my DH at night. That is the only one that I found that funny. I will give The Cowboy a try when it comes out. SEP is the other consistently funny writer. Must be a tough genre to write!

Cait London said...

SEP and Crusie are excellent and consistent. I'm not as I like eerie, etc. sometimes, but humor just happens from some authors. When forced, it doesn't come.