Sunday, June 29, 2014

Doll Clothes Patterns

 I'm currently working with the 2nd book in my Basket series, but today had to lay off due to eye strain.

I've been labeled a Busy Bee as I am always doing something, and today seemed a good day to work on my 18" Doll Patterns. (I have granddaughters. :))

!Before reading on, note that making doll clothes is a sideline, and I'm not doing designer work, rather for play.

These patterns were purchased, then traced on grocery sacks. I only traced/cut the ones I would probably do the most and those will go into an easy-reach file. !!I'm using the material/notions I have on hand, because if you've priced fabric lately, it is $$.


Why grocery sacks? you ask. Because a grocery sack is sturdy and with basics and a rotary cutter, you can move fast. No pinning, just hold the sack-pattern down with one hand and run the cutter around with your other hand. The sacks are hardy and I'm not careful with the tissue paper patterns. I've made some of my own clothes patterns years ago, tailoring. Not doing that now tho 'cause I am a Writer. :)

But at one time, I made men's wool shirts, my mother's clothes, Barbie doll clothes, my 3 daughter's clothes/coats/bonnets/long prairie dresses/ my clothes, drapes, etc. I had a Pfaff then, with what I thought was a miracle: a hemmer cam, and the other cams were super, too. With 3 girls and myself, that hemmer was a blessing as I am no delicate hand-stitcher like my mother.

I'm only making simple designs as I really am a writer and want to get back to painting my wildlife/scenery canvases. After all, I bought a lot of art supplies and have to get to them before they dry up. So making doll patterns is a side track on an off day.

Tip: I usually overlap outside leg seams on pants, but this pattern came in one piece. It had a set-on waistband, but I overlapped the seams of the pants and waistband. This will create a seam in front, but I'm going for the fastest way through... which is to sew the crotch seams first, and then the legs together.


Here you can see how to double the waist over. All seams are around 1/4", except the hem at 3/4" I did buy a rolled hem attachment for my old machine and had to watch a YouTube video on how to use it! This after using it years ago.

About the sleeves: I put them in before sewing up the sides, which makes it a lot easier.

If you're connecting 2 small pieces, save time by just sewing from the end of one to the edge of the next, then cut apart later.

With the basics shown on the first photo, you can make about anything, just by changing the length of the dress, adding a ruffle or eyelet lace to the sleeves, different buttons, and bias tape. Since I'm running fast, I'm using bias tape. Since my machine is old/basic, I zigzag seams, especially stress points. Love that old Singer 717 cabinet model. I know if I get a new one, I'll be tied up with that and not writing, but some of the stitches would really be nice.

Here is my model, a thrift store 18" find, who everyone says is "scary". One daughter, a Pinterest lover, says she can straighten the hair. I haven't named her, yet.

I don't think she's scary. Do you think so? :)

No comments: