Sunday, January 15, 2012

Writer's Jumpstart Tips for '12

When Night Falls


At the Top of '12, I'm looking back at my goals, and prioritizing. One long-term goal for some time now has been to return to painting. I've almost completed 2 paintings. Another goal was to write a mystery short story (humor), and The Coupon Killer was born. I plan more of Jemma Kowalski, named after an old wrestling favorite, Killer Kowalski. :) And I'd intended to launch the L.E. Klein name somewhere, so The Coupon Killer was a two-fer.

Due to seasonal flu stuff I missed doing a workshop on Writers Block, which will come later. So sorry, local Write-In people. But look forward to my mini sessions in '12. I love the pop-up sessions.

Like Most Writers, I'm fully charged to take off in '12 with all sorts of goals. To start off '12, I started a redo of my website, which has waited while I got my E-Pub Feet wet.



If you are fully charged to jumpstart your writing in '12, the following may help you. They are included at Writers Tips included at my website.  I am so hoping this helps someone. To start, here are my Twenty Top Tips for Writers:

The Biggest Tip of All: Do Not "Find" Time. "Make" Time. Think Positive, Be Aggressive in this goal. Mind set is everything.
1. Self Motivate; learn to use your personal carrots and triggers.
2. When Writing to Sell: Consider Your Individual Time Frames vs Your Attention Span
3. Protect Your Writing Time. Prepare in advance and avoid Vampires.
4. Edit off/away from Biological "Up" Time*
5. Work for self-reliance.
6. Block number of pages on a calendar
7. Focus on the Story's Theme/Thread Throughout; keep notes on it.
8. Finish the Piece! A completed project is truly your graduation certificate.
9. Prepare Yourself Psychologically. Be your own best friend with affirmations.
10. Get Away, Experience Life
11. Cut the Umbilical Cord. Send Your Piece into the Cruel World.
12. Keep Lists of Agents/Publishers, ref: Market Talk below *
13. Keep Databases, lists of ideas/character names/story ideas.*
14. Network in Person and Private, Talk with Other Writers *
15. Do Not Do As Others Do. You are an individual; weigh advice and choose only for your needs.
16. Write Business Letters and Mail Them on Regular Designated Day*
17. Use Ring Notebooks with Replacement Paper (if non-computer)
18. Do Not Compare Yourself to Other Writers
19. History Lessons: Know that you did the best you could, made the right choice, given the tools/knowledge at the time.
20. Learn to say "no." *Busy Work

Other topics are: Pre-Plotting and Plotting/What Do You Want to Write?/ How to Get Ideas/Dependable Story Nuggets/Understanding the Givens/You Have Your Idea/Begin Laying Plot/3 Yellow Brick Roads/Editing the Plot Line/Style, Impact Writing.

This is a massive offering, almost a mini-course itself.  I spend a lot of time on Plotting, because I "came into" writing with strengths of basic characterization and dialogue. But I worked really hard to learn Plotting.

I plan to redo the plotting flow chart, but it's still there. I think basic computer programming and flow charts helped me to understand plotting early on. What works in programming's If-Then, works in creative writing.

I hope you'll visit my Writer Tips section at my website. There are several pages, and I'm reworking/editing sections, plus adding an E-Pub tips section later.

And be sure to subscribe to my E-Newsletter for more insider stuff, including contests.

Note: Discard the Read More. There is More but at my website. :)

No comments: