Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Perfect Read


Garden Spells (Bantam Discovery)

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen has been in my TBR pile for some time (the best ones are stacked beside my bed). Since I love to garden, the book's cover drew me, plus the apples as I believe in apples. (Check out my apple-butter making at My Jam Jar.) I am not the chef/caterer that Allen features, but I try, and the whimsy of the story caught me. Dipped in Southern flavor, Garden Spells is a perfect read.

I truly could not put it down. Eyes aching, I had to envelope myself in Allen's beautiful world, that opens the past, the difficulties between sisters, and a seemingly odd, yet beautiful NC community, where families know each other's history a little too well, where comfort is drawn from oddities. The sisters (yes, I have a sister) travel many roads as do the other people involved, but they all twine together magically.

A beautiful read, unusual for my tastes, and totally enchanting, the darker spots of lives setting the background for beautiful patches.

1 comment:

makenwords said...

I'm going to have to give this one a try, being a gardener and having that Southern DNA. Sounds like a great combination!