Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Encyclopedia Defunctitis

While trying to find more space in my office, I considered the set of encyclopedias that my daughters had used while growing up. They're grown now, in their own homes, and I rarely use this set. They're gorgeous, really they are, and I remember those payments per month.

But I never use them. I haven't used them for years. The newer members of our family don't use them either, and space is scarce. While I have an extensive library of research books on particular topics, the set of encyclopedias has remained unused. Wikipedia and other online resources have changed the way we researched for years.

Changing times have also dictated how we research. Sadly, my beautiful encyclopedias may be destined to leave my office.

When was the last time you used your set of encyclopedias? I'm interested to know.

No comments: